Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Merry Christmas

The past four weeks have been chaos and work weeks with 70 hours of physical labor. We shipped 1500 gift baskets out in three weeks. Now it is time for a little relaxation.

 It is Christmas Eve and I am preparing dinner; roasted chicken breast with Penzey's Fox Point Seasoning, oven roasted potato wedges, roasted corn and green peas. The plates are going to look so festive. I definitely deserve a glass of wine tonight.

Down the steps I go. What is in the cellar that will go great with this simple but flavorful meal? I think a white wine, a Chardonnay even. What do I have from Cameron Hughes? I see a Santa Barbara lot 180, Arroyo Seco lot 273, I got it; this is the winner, Willamette Valley lot 215.

Cameron Hughes wines always come through for me; red or white it doesn't matter. His wines start with great fruit from great vineyards. Cameron seems to nail it every time when it comes to complete balance of his wines. He brings the best out of his juice, great fruit on the palate, balanced acidity, and character that is true to each AVA designation.

This Chardonnay from the Willamette Valley, Oregon is perfect. The nose is packed with gold delicious apple and danjou pear aromas. The flavors are a harmonious combination of apple, pear, lime and a minerality that finishes on the palate. I can taste the vanilla, from malolactic fermentation. Love, love, love this Chardonnay. The only thing is C.H. sells out of these lot numbers quickly, so I don't know if I'll be able to get more.

Christmas morning. It has been four weeks since I had an opportunity to sleep in and I wake up at 4:30 am. Oh well, we have 30 people coming over for brunch so I guess I will get started. I put up the tables, helped prep the food and most importantly I have the beverage department ready. O.J., milk, Martinelli's Sparkling juice for the kids, Asti for Mimosas, and I am trying something new this year; I call it my Holiday Spritzer.

This drink is so simple. Just mix 50% Martini & Rossi Rose with 50% Oceanspray White Cranberry-Peach. You can decorate the rim of the flute with a long pick spearing sugar coated cranberries and a mint leaf. This is definitely a girly drink, but the low alcohol and juice is inviting at 10:00 am.

Happy Holidays and a Healthy New Year Everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment