Tuesday, August 2, 2011

A Wine in Time

July 1, 2011 7:30 p.m.
It was time.

I waited eighteen years to taste the bottle of Gaja 1993 Sori San Lorenzo that had rested in my wine cellar, waiting, longing to make my acquaintance. Each year that passed brought me closer to this special moment.

I always wanted to share this wine with friends that would appreciate it, but not with too many if you know what I mean? And now, that day had finally arrived. Three of my closest friends had gathered with me in my basement. We were surrounded by stone walls, wine memorabilia, a riddling rack hanging from the ceiling, and bottles of wine on the bar, beckoning our indulgence.

Time was at a standstill.

The food was ready, chicken grilled to perfection, herbed potatoes crisped, and a variety of cheese anxiously called to our pallates. I popped the cork and decanted the wine, anticipating it will take an hour to open. The color was superb, bright brick red with more of a garnet depth. The initial aromas hinted of raspberry, cherry and herb. The wine transformed with each slight pour. The fruit flavors developed into a rich cherry and plum with fine tannins and a savory finish.

The wine was perfect! All four of us had experienced palates and knew at that moment, a Barbaresco could not get better than this. Notes were taken, we finished the wine and thanked each other for the opportunity to experience this wine together.

It is moments like this that have taught me to be patient and wait, because some things in life are worth waiting for.

No comments:

Post a Comment